- This event has passed.
Bento Boxes with Melanie Missin
March 5 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 10:00am, repeating until March 6, 2022
Melanie Missin will be returning to get us to make these fabulous boxes. This two day workshop will get us using all sorts of mixed media to create flowers and leave to decorate our boxes with. Each day will start with Mel talking to us about our day and how we will progress. Then at each stage Mel will demonstrate each step and help us to create our masterpieces.
I was inspired by the Floral Bento Boxes that had been made at a florist workshop. I decided to try and make something similar with my favourite material, Vlieseline, (vilene to most people). Using Teabags, Free motion stitching, paint, varnish and a soldering tool, I created these delightful little boxes.
- Sewing machine with a new 90/14 needle.
- A darning foot for free motion stitching (Older machines may need a plate to put over the feed dogs if there is no switch to put them down).
- ½ metre (a metre if you would like to make more) of craft Vilene – Vlieseline S80/240 (50cm x 90cm)
- Dried, used teabags (tea leaves removed) approx. 30 bags
- Koh-I -Noor water colour paints (dye based is fine to) and shimmer water colour paints (I use Artway 2303017 available from Amazon there are others too), or Lumiere paints.
- Quick dry Clear gloss varnish. I use Wilkos own make.
- Paint brushes for paint and an old one for the varnish.
- Black cotton or rayon thread, not polyester.
- Soldering tool with mask and old tile or glass which will not burn
- Hair dryer (optional).
- A container or tray to take the boxes home as they will still be wet.
I can supply 1/2 metre of Vilene, teabags, the use of my paints and varnish for £6.00, payable on the day, to me.
Refreshments are available throughout the day but don’t forget to bring your lunch
It is set in a lovely rural situation just off the A47 and you can join Anita there where she will teach you to make all kinds of textile art in safe regulated conditions that include:
Restricted numbers to ensure safe social distancing.
Track and trace is in place.
Face masks are worn if demonstrations are taking place.
Hand sanitizers are situated at the entrance and in the bathroom facilities,
Disposable aprons and gloves.
The studio is light and airy and there are all sorts of hand and machine stitch workshops, Powertex and Eco dying.
Experimental Wednesdays takes place on the 3rd Wednesday of every month, where you are more than welcome to explore stitch and other textile art skills.
Anita will make you welcome and there might be other visitors there to chat with and share the experience . Cake and hot and cold drinks are available on tap through out the day. You will also find lots of other items for sale. Die Cut Kits can be collected from the Studio if preferred.
EBS Retail is the name of Anita’s shop at Long Sutton Emporium where you can get kits amongst many other items that Anita makes and buys in such a needles and threads as well as fabric.
The long Sutton Emporium is situated on the A17 .look out for the bright orange signs.