- This event has passed.
My Little Book of Favourite Things with Melanie Missin
July 3 @ 10:00 am - July 4 @ 4:00 pm£90.00
My Little Book of Favourite Things
‘I am a Cornish girl, so anything to do with summer, sea, sand, lazy hazy days always makes me feel better, especially in the dark winter months. When I first designed this book it was in the middle of winter and I really needed a pick me up. What better thing to do than look through some summer pictures and then create something warm and beautiful with them and putting memories down onto fabric. One of my other favourites is Flora and Fauna, especially insects, which is how the insect book came about. I wanted a well-used, old looking book, using inexpensive materials but creating some kind of heirloom. The book is really all about layering and collage, mixed media and of course, stitching by machine and by hand to create depth and texture. A number of techniques are used. Using bondaweb, tyvek, fuse -fx, transfer foils, water soluble film, painting, printing on interfacing, free motion machine stitching and hand embroidery’.
Day 1 is all about painting and layering.
Painting on Bondaweb, Tyvek and Fuse FX.
- Printing your pictures onto Vilene.
- There are two sides to this concertina Book so there will be lots of random layering with pictures and the painted mixed media.
Day 2 is all about stitching and making the book come together.
- Free motion machining is used but not essential and it depends on your topic how you wish to stitch it. Some of it will be painted with watercolours as well.
- Hand stitching and embroidery is also good as it creates even more colour and texture.
The book may not be completed in the two days as you can embellish at home.
- Sewing machine in good working order with a new needle and the manual
- Darning foot for free motion stitching (optional), normal foot is fine.
- Sewing kit – small sharp scissors, needles, pins, quick unpick, rotary cutter and cutting ruler.
- One metre of medium weight vilene – tea dyed see instructions attached
- One metre of light weight fusable vilene
- Machine and hand sewing threads. Plain and variegated.
- Embellishments such as buttons, beads are optional.
- Pen, pencil, fabric marker pen, ruler and notebook
- Tyvek, fuse fx, bondaweb acrylic paints (i will supply but if you have some please bring it).
- Printed pictures of your favourite things – see example attached plus some text pieces. These will be printed onto Interfacing using my printer. There will be a charge £3.00 on the day for the printing ink used.
Instructions for tea dyeing the interfacing (Vilene) ready for use on the day.
- Place 6 teabags in a washing up bowl or bucket.
- Add one kettle of boiling water and let the teabags infuse in the water.
- Scrunch up the interfacing and place in in the tea water – leave for a few minutes or longer if you want the fabric darker.
- Wring out, flatten and allow the fabric to dry.
Your fabric is now ready for the workshop
I can supply the tea dyed vilene, fusable vilene and the printer inks for £10.00 payable to me on the day.
This is a 2 day workshop so do not forget to bring your lunch. Refreshments are available through-out the day.
I look forward to seeing you soon.
Sit, Sew and Create